Monday, February 25, 2008

Auld Lang Syne

I remember flowing fields of grain,
how in the wind they waved

I remember sounds of streaking rain
on sidewalks newly paved

I remember all the hills of gold
and how the children sang

I remember all the bells of old
that in the churches rang

I remember all the winter frost
when Christmas came to all

I remember when the child was lost
and men began to fall

I remember all the arms and hands
that moved us to the fight

I remember all the foreign lands
that cursed our very sight

I remember when we told our God
"Get out of all our schools"

I remember when we took the rod
and gave it to the fools

But I remember; hope and trust
are stronger weapons still

Than all the hate and burning lust
of men who seek to kill

I know that power in the hand
is not to hold the gun

The power is with ones who stand,
And proudly stand as one

No comments: